Mars Kites for Human Habitation
William Byron (Joe) Poston , Ph.D.
Utilizing the most recent advances in communications (Parabolic Reflectors) and space explorations (Mars Odyssey) it is conceivable to conclude that the feasibility of this concept can become a reality. The reality of Earthlings on Mars is now a very distinct possibility within our foreseeable future. This concept is easily proven with collage math (separate publication) and this dissertation is presented to familiarize the scientific (& political) communities to the feasibility of this concept and give credence for its implementation. This concept utilizes a well-known paradigm (man on Mars) but which had no practicality except to send someone there in a clumsy space suit. This abstract, utilizing modern day accomplishments, illustrates a different methodology. The sun shines daily on Mars and this enormous energy, while less than Earth, could be utilized to a great extent in many other applications, over a period of time. Additionally, localized KITES could be installed on Command Huts to give them steam generated electrical energy for the astronauts. This study provides an empirical observation of the concepts that could be implemented in the near future, utilizing the applications of present day technology, as noted below:
- Determine the “exact” temperatures of the surface of MARS at this present time (Mars Odyssey).
- Establish the “exact” orbital path for the Mars Kites. This would be the plan view (symmetrical about equator) (Mars Odyssey).
- Establish the “exact” orbital path for the Mars Kites, this would the right side view (symmetrical a 45 degrees inclination), in this manner the suns energy would strike the Mars KITES uniformly, 24-days, 7-days, none would be in a shadow (Mars Odyssey).
- Design & develop the “exact” specifications for the parabolic reflectors that are used for the KITE (separate publication).
- Completely test all of these concepts on Earth (Space Shuttle).
- Send Mars Odyssey II with one model (KITE) to orbit Mars for feasibility, and total confirmation of this methodology.
- Prepare Mars Odyssey III with the test results of Mars Odyssey II for the implementation of three (3) more KITES. These four (4) Kites will give significant energy from the SUN to re-warm the surface for habitation.
- Utilizing the aforementioned concepts and the practical implementations recommended. This should provide Human Habitation for a Chicago “environment” within 100 years. Only a small oxygen re-breather tank would be required for daily existence, on the surface.
- Utilizing localized KITES, astronauts could generate their own electrical energy for many different experiments.
- In the future, astronauts could use steam generators for propulsion, in the return-to-Earth vehicle.